I’ve made a lot of progress this summer on the XML application I have been developing. A better way to describe what I am building is a practical way for authors to create reports, articles and books with the structure explicitly defined, and with no presentation assumed. This will allow for faithful conversions to a variety of formats, and possibly with a variety of sensible options for presentation.
I have been most productive while writing such documents at the same time as I have been developing the application. Here is an example. I have submitted a short note to the American Mathematical Monthly. Authored with MathBook XML, it has been rendered as both a PDF and as a web page.
For the moment, I am trying to have the HTML rendering mimic whatever default rendering you would get from default LaTeX. But you will notice that the HTML version uses knowls for citations. As the HTML rendering evolves, expect it to take even greater advantage of the capabilities of browsers.
I have made a lot of progess with cross-references, including automatic numbering of displayed equations with MathJax. There is minimal support for bibliographic records. Figures and images are supported. A unified approach to tables will have to wait a bit. The CSS for the HTML is functional, but has lots more potential, especially for internationalization. Next I am going to tackle a book-length project that has lots of Sage code (so will make a doctesting framework).